Alright, so there is this guy at Vfl Bochum who could be the greatest boom or bust in Schalke history. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but hear me out. It’s Silvère Ganvoula, the hulking Congolese striker that does so many things right and so many things wrong.
More from Release The Knappen
- Schalke 04: Arkadiusz Milik would take everything, but he’s worth it
- Schalke 04: Ozan Kabak makes Jean-Claire Todibo pass quietly
- Schalke 04: Omar Mascarell the only boost between now and then
- Schalke 04: David Wagner just has to make it to the end of the season
- Schalke 04: At least we still have Weston McKennie
We want a target man, right? No one can stand up to Ganvoula in the box. Dude 6.8 aerial duels per match. And yet only one of his 11 goals comes from his head, so don’t even try calling him a one-trick pony. This is a target man if ever there was one. And he assists, too, which is just delicious.
The problem is that despite how good he is at using his feet to shoot, he doesn’t use them well to control the ball. As in not at all. In addition to winning nearly seven aerial duels per match, he also takes 4.5 poor touches per match.
Which is really, really bad. He’s also got some serious issues staying onside.
This is a boom or bust deal. If he can gain better tactical awareness with and without the ball, he could be a master signing and a jolt of life to this striking core. He’s 23-years-old so he has time to work out the kinks.
But if he never does, he could be one of the most frustrating signings in recent memory. So the big question is—you feelin’ lucky?