FC Schalke’s defense was destroyed against Bayern, but we have to keep in mind that in every other match, this defense has been remarkably solid, if not the foundation with which this club built their hopes on. Even without their two main centerbacks, they’ve been so reliable.
More from Release The Knappen
- Schalke 04: Arkadiusz Milik would take everything, but he’s worth it
- Schalke 04: Ozan Kabak makes Jean-Claire Todibo pass quietly
- Schalke 04: Omar Mascarell the only boost between now and then
- Schalke 04: David Wagner just has to make it to the end of the season
- Schalke 04: At least we still have Weston McKennie
As such, don’t expect much to change. While I’m waiting for Jean-Clair Todibo‘s debut as well, I’m not sure that, even in light of a terrible match, this is the best time to flip the script and change things up. I’m betting on Ozan Kabak and Matija Nastasic to start the match together again. Though if Nastasic can’t turn things around in this one, expect Todibo sooner rather than later.
Of course, I would’t exactly be upset if Todibo did get the nod next to Kabak. Because damn, that would be exciting.
On the outside, we have a problem. Jonjoe Kenny is ill, thus misses the match, and that leaves rightback wide open. Thankfully, the do-everything Weston McKennie is ready to step back into the fold, and with nothing open in the midfield, his opportunity will come at right back.
And lastly, of course, Bastian Oczipka will slot into his usual leftback spot.
Midfield is next.